Saturday, October 11, 2008

RA, ACE and Intern

SO much has happened in the last two months, where to begin...
Classes started a ltitle more than a month ago and they are good. I am taking Intro to GLobalization with with this great anarchist professor- the class has no strucure, I swear but it is great, then also political economy of developing nations- which is intense with about a hundred pages of reading every week, then there are my core classes I have to take which are Math and economics- which I definitely am not a fan of but will power through them.

I love my Resident Advisor job, being with Freshman and being able to help them and be there for them with so many questions and anxieties is really fullfilling! I really like the staff in the building I work with and my Hall Director, my supervisor who is an amazing woman. My co-ra, who lives on the other side of my floor is also one of my best friends and that makes my 24/7 job so much better!!

The McCarthy Center of Public Service and the Common Good also offered me a job with them about a month ago as an ACE. ACE stands for Advocate for Community Engagement. I get to facilitate the service students do in the communiy through their service learning courses they take at USF. The community partner I work with is called Glide in San Francisc, it is a great organization in the Tenderloin that really works with communiy needs, I feel really lucky to work with them.

I am also interning with the Not For Sale Campaign working with the high school movement in the bay area and somewhat nationally. We just had this greast conference in DC, the 8th and 9th of october at Georgetown University. It was to bring people together around the nation and educate them about trafficking and help them become involved in the anti-trafficking movement. We also lobbied a little bit on the hill with all the congress people and senators staffers and tried to put political pressure on the senate and house to the pass the Trafficking Victims Protection Act which needs to be reauthorized every two years. So we had a conference, that I helped work on for about 150 people, to help prepare people for the lobbying and get them more involved in the anti-trafficking movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment