Friday, February 3, 2012

6 months DONE!

First of all, I am super excited to say I finished my second year graduate field work! After six long, hard, challenging, rewarding, spanish and kid filled months of working fulltime from 9-6:30 I am officially finished with my "applying theory to practice"! Now all I have to finish is my thesis hah!

I have had so many challenges and learned so much in the last 6 months which seems like literally a lifetime, here are some of the top ones:

Challenges/ Learning and Growth:

- Putting up my boundaries with the kids, my coworkers and mostly with myself regarding respect, professionalism, and my values and beliefs.
- Saying NO when the situation calls for it: whether it is not lying on a government evaluation saying we did something when we really didn't or telling a kid the truth and how things actually are.
- Creating a life here in Spanish. period, no more need to be said.
- Having to go to the optometrist and dentist, in another language.
- Living with a daily threat of violence in this country (and being in another culture and constantly reminded I am "American")
- Now knowing the type of organization I want to work for, the type of coworkers and NGO I want to dedicate myself to.
- Being sick with the flu, food poisoning, a cold, tooth pains, hung over,
- Listening to horrible loud Mexican music curtesy of my roommates at 3am. On a weekday.
- Job applications while reading and writing my thesis while working fulltime.
- Internet connection going down. frustrating.

Best Moments
- My family visiting and having Christmas at my apartment.
- THE BEACH (general splendor of the weather included).
- Having men treat you like a princess (yes a little machista but a refreshing change).
- Drinking tequila with my best friend Susy here.
- Teaching a 9 year old how to tell time and hugs from my favorite little 6 year old.
- Feeling comfortable and like I could live here long term. And liking being a short term "ex pat"
- Roommates giving me free prescriptions because they are doctos.
- Skyping with friends and getting mail from all over the world from Thailand to Zimbabwe to Sweden.
- Realizing how many opportunities I have to look forward to.

So a month more of work that I committed to and then some travels around MX in March and back to trying to find a job and traveling more before my benefits run out in 8 months!

No comments:

Post a Comment