Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Little Idiocynracies of Daily Life in Mexico

Last week at work I went to grab a drawing book for a girl who is 8 years old and some dust fell from the book (the house is under construction) and it blew into her eye. I said blink and close your eyes to get it out- she ignored me and said "Maira me prestas tu cabello" direct translation: loan me your hair. um What! Apparently a Mexican tradition to get anything unwanted out of your eye is to rub it with hair, and hers was obviously not adequate. Super cute...of course I lent her my pony tail.

Talking with my Mexican male surgeon roommates the other night about how I have been sick with one thing or another almost the entire time that I have been here, Erik, 28 and a R4 surgeon said and the funny thing is that when I was sick you gave me medicine to feel better. Yeah, very ironic that my three doctor roommates haven't given me a prescription or consultation or anything, but I have taken care of them...typical...though noteworthy is that I don't like taking medicine hence I don't always ask for it.

A joke that the social worker told me today, which was pretty ironic since he is supposed to be empowering the kids we work with, but I laughed anyways. "Que hace un huerfano en una pizzeria?" or what is an orphan doing in a pizzeria? Give up..."pidiendo dos familiares" asking for two families (or family size pizza). Well the translation in English may not be so direct. But it was a funny bad joke.

So our house is under construction at work, Casa CODENI, and we have had workers or abaniles here for the last month running around with cement, bricks, paint and the like. Today, Friday, the kids don't come into the house and when we can into work we heard noises in the morning upstairs where the playroom is. As I listened harder and realized the workers were not where there little construction site is, we realized they were playing with the Foosball table in the playroom. It's hilarious because they are all cheering and laughing and have a great all time. Sometimes its nice to be a kid and have spaces to be creative and enjoy our right to play.

More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment