Sunday, December 16, 2007

San Sebastian and my last day in Bilbao

After John took the train in from Paris (where I had just come from, he was too slow to get his act together and actually meet me under the Eiffel tower), Nikki, John and I took an hour bus ride to San Sebastian (Northeast of Bilbao) for the morning and afternoon. We walked form the bus station to the casco viejo and along the water. The beach was so beautiful. At this time, around the 15th of December, it was getting very cold, but it was a great sunny day out. So bought so many pastries at this one bakery. John wanted to eat well while he was here since he only spent several days in Spain and about a week abroad. We scarfed down muffins, chocolate croissants and amazing bread things we did not know the names of. After walking for sometime we wanted to sit down and get coffee. So with coffee we had some more pastries. I tried some sort of hand made candy called Polvoron. It was white and a mix between floury cookie dough and taffy. I am glad I tried it but will not get it again! The casco viejo, old quarter shopping area with mostly specialized stores and restaurants, opens up from the tall dark buildings to the open bright beach and it is amazing. We also ate Pinchos with all sorts of different things in them. Pinchos or pintxos are little appetizers, and they are usually set with a lot of other on the bar in the restaurant. They are very tasty, I mostly ate the ones with cheese on them! We had also tried to meet this guy who was studying in San Sebastian who we met on the train back from Paris, but we missed eachother.
Then we took the bus back and went straight to our closing ceremony with all the students and teachers back at the school. There was a performance put on by the theater class- they had been working on it all semester. We watched that and received our grades and graduation certificates and went to a bar called Crazy Horse after. Everyone went. Oh but before that, Conchi's sister was there watching the play, because she hosts students as well, and Feli (short for Felicidad) saw that I had written about Conchi in our magazine, all the students put together. She was laughing so hard and telling me how funny it was. I told her not to tell Conchi because I said some things like oh Conchi is wierd and has animal heads on her walls and sings while she cooks and wears this funny red frompy dress at home. It was classic!
So I played a game of pool with my partner Steve and we kicked butt! John got to meet everyone too. Then we said our goodbyes. We will all be in contact though...

No comments:

Post a Comment