Sunday, April 20, 2008

USF in DC

Last Thursday night I met the Director of the McCarthy Center at USF who was putting on a dinner for the USF students in DC and the recent alums of my school. So I met my friend Laura, who I went to Cambodia with last May- we were in Erasmus together, and a couple other kids from our program and went to Dupont circle to meet everyone at Bucca De Beppos. Of course our dinner is at this funky Italian restaurant with weird pictures on the wall. Only in conservative DC would people from San Francisco socialize and meet new people in a crazy setting here. To my surprise the President of the University came too! Father Privett is awesome- I must have met him three or so times, but I shook his hand and talked a little with him. He was called here to have a private audience with the Pope- I guess all the Presidents of the Jesuit Universities were. Pretty cool- I told him to tell the Pope I say "What's up!" He just laughed.
It was so great to meet people who had just graduated in DC and see what they are doing now...they are going to be great connections. There was this one couple, Tom and Dedra, about thirty years old at my table telling us about their kickball league here- called NAKID (No, Adult Kickball Isn't Dumb) and the stories they were telling were hilarious. The website is great- I think there is a little game that goes on and a lot of drinking. Then there were two other women who have done a lot of traveling who were great to talk to, Kate and Hilary. It is always great hanging out with older people to hear their stories and to see what they have done knowing it is always an option for me in the future.
Check out the NAKID website: www.playnakid.com
So here are some pictures of the dinner with Patrick Murphy- the Director of the McCarthy Center (which is actually sending me to Nicaragua this summer too) and the students with Father Privett (Laura is the one next to the short Father Privett)
First of all, it was such a beautiful day in DC!

Here is the Director of the McCarthy Center speaking to the group, his center sent us all here to DC.


Father Privett is the second one from the left and my friend Laura who was in Erasmus with me last year in in between he and I.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like fun Devs! I liked your last post about your Mom giving you the gift of travel!! Keep up the posting :) -Mare, Heff and Francie-pants (who loves her guest appearances on your blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I maintain the NAKID website. Thanks for the compliment! :)

    ReplyDelete