Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Keet in Pari

I love my dear aunt kit, she is so spunky, colorful and full of life in the present. I have been receiving regular emails from her on her two week trip to Paris with my uncle tom (along with every other family member...good thing she has luxurious time to write to us). Well, I thought I would share some of her emails, because, she is just hilarious!

Dear Devon,
We visited La Musee D'ORsay which has a fantastic collection of Impressionistic paintings, and which is a converted train station. I loved the building and the light filtering through the ceiling. WE both got "museum back" , but it was worth it. We walked there from our hotel and stopped off at La Maison du Chocolat on the way. I bought a chocolate something (duh, what else) that was the only thing I could afford---4.5 Euros for one piece of candy!!! Most things were $25 to $75 and I couldn't bring myself to buy 4 ounces of chocolate for the same amount as a meal for 4.

Glad to hear you are getting ejercio. Feels good to get it, n'est ce pas? I have already walked my tail off today. Tom had business at the Hopital Chocon, and I took off to find the Jardins des Plantes. Got lost, of course, but I didn't care. I was walking from 10:00 to 1:30 pm and my dogs are so tired!! I LOVED the garden, and after a rest I am going to take Tom back there. Tom is snortling/snoring as I write this. He finished his meeting and is free until we leave on Wd. am. We just finished eating a peek neek in our little room---a tartine, which was an open-faced baguette with melted cheese and tomatoe on top, warmed up; a baguette sandwich with grilled chicken in it and we split a strawberry tart. Excellent, all.

I am going to cut and paste you what I wrote to your Dad about our adventures in the emergency room...
Also...yesterday afternoon we were resting up here after our boat trip on the Seine, and the phone rang. The receptionist said "The building, she is burning. You must to evacuate now." Just as she said that I smelled smoke and heard lots of clattering on the cement staircase near our room. WE grabbed our computers and wallets---no time to pack or anything---and ran downstairs. Other guests were collected out on the sidewalk in front of the hotel and a fire truck with the extension ladder leaning on the building was already set up. Pompiers (isn't that a great name for fireman?) were climbing up the extension ladder thing, running in and out of our building and the one next door, dragging a hose from the lobby around and looking generally serious. The police cordoned off the sidewalk and the street and we weren't allowed to go near the hotel. It was starting to get cold(It was around 6:00 in the evening), and Tom was just in a T-shirt (pants, too). I had grabbed my jacket and a scarf so I wrapped my scarf around his neck and that helped a bit. He looked really "in" too. All the men wear long scarves looped around their necks---very chic! Fortunately, we had planned to take our friend Louise and her family out to dinner, so we just walked to their house, hoping the hotel would still be standing when we got back. WE had a really delightful meal at the cafe right next door to her place. It was one of those long drawn out dinners with multiple courses and waiters in black suits. By the time we walked back to our hotel at 10:00 pm, everything was fine. The receptionist didn't mention anything on our return ("Fi-yure, what fi-yure?") and the only indication that we almost died in a raging inferno was a slight smell of smoke in the stairwell. I am a little freaked out at the kind of bad-lucky things that have happened to us on this trip, so I am avoiding elevators, and looking both ways twice when I cross the street.

I love to hear about what you're doing to school. What was the conference in Berkeley about? ...Those girls, especially ones in bikinis, don't know what a groovy RA they have and they should golly-gee-gosh show up for the floor meetings. I will check out your blog to see what else is up with you.
Take care and enjoy spring,
Love
Keet

I so long to be with you!! but I think I cannot complain since I was there for two weeks over winter break.

No comments:

Post a Comment