Monday, February 15, 2010

and....work!

Wow great times over the last few months, but you may have been thinking....how the jeepers is she supporting herself?

Good question....oh work!

Well, although I have not found my first great full time job since graduation (besides being an Au Pair and traveling and being a member of my crazy family), I have some great part time jobs I love and that support me well!

In September I started an internship and a part time job. The internship is with an amazing organization my former professor, Wanjiru Kamau-Rutenberg runs called Akili Dada. The org works to empower impoverished brilliant young women in Kenya through solid secondary education and mentorship. I work with a few other interns and we meet once a week in the city. Being with a group of like minded and strong women has been great, especially now that I am not always surrounded by that at school. Then, in Atherton I am tutoring in Spanish and Geometry. I really enjoy working one on one with students and love reviewing and teaching Spanish. I have also been babysitting, a lot especially over the holidays, which I love. Being with adorable kids and having fun and getting paid to do it is ideal!

www.akilidada.org

In the last post, I talked about graduate schools...these are the ones I applied to.
SIT Graduate Institute in Vermont
University of Denver- Josef Korbel School for International Development
Brandeis University
Clark University
American University- School for International Training
George Washington University

I am looking to get a degree in International Development-- with a focus on youth and human rights and education.

So we will see if I will be at one of these crazy competitive schools next year or if I will be working in San Francisco at a related organization.

If you know anything about these schools or anyone who attended them I would love to hear about it and get as much info as I can!!

No comments:

Post a Comment