Thursday, March 27, 2008

My Past Week- all that is exciting

A little out of order but here is the update...

It has been about ten days since break and it has flown by, like everything does. It is hard to think of everything that has happened. Well, I wrote like three papers this week about 6-8 pages. One about the relationship between Taiwan and China and how the US can affect the relations under the one China policy, then one about a book I am reading on children’s issues called no Room at the Table written by a Priest named Donald Dunson, and then the last one about my internship. So that I will post to give you a better idea of what’s up with Polaris Project. What else, I went on a police ride along in the 6th district of DC, where most of the poverty, violence and drugs are located in DC. I went with a woman from my class, as part of a class assignment, and the officer we went with was great- he was in the military and lived abroad, was from Brooklyn and swore all the time. It definitely gave me a different outlook on policemen and how they are just people too, like politicians, my father or anyone. So that was very memorable. I met two Minnesotans last night through a mutual friend and they completely reminded me of Mel, my friend from USF. She lived in the city with a bunch of our other friends. I miss them all so much! It is great always meeting new people here though. I went to a human trafficking event where two recently published authors came out with books on Slavery today. One by Kevin Bales, who is a leading researcher on trafficking called Free Slaves and then another one by Ben Skinner, called A Crime So Monstrous. They both spoke at this venue called Busboys and Poets just off of U Street in a historically black neighborhood in DC. The place is great; they are a restaurant, cafĂ©, bookstore and venue for people to speak all about social justice. It was created after Langston Hughes, who was a busboy and a poet and it is just a great place (especially since it has free Wifi all the time, a definite bonus).

My friend Matt, who goes to USF and is graduating this year, and who I studied with in Spain went to NYC for his spring break last week and took the train down to see me for a day. He was really only here for about 20 hours but we had a nice on campus dinner and then saw the Capitol building and the surrounding house and senate buildings int he morning, then I took him to Union Station to take the train back up to NYC. Here are some pics of us:





On another note: I talked to my friend Cecily last night and she was telling me how for spring break she went surfing for the first time and saw porpoises. It is so amazing to think of the differences in temperature and cultural daily life on each of the coasts. I like living on the East a lot, but I always forget about the temperature. For example, one of my East Coaster friends said, “oh, I can’t wait until we can eat outside.” I am like what? Ohh yes, you would freeze your butt off if you ate at a table seated outside. Funny.

I called my dad the other day to see how his first day at work went. He got a new global management position with a company in Daily City off of 280 called Genesis. So I call him and, while on the other line my brother is on hold (which felt good since he always puts me on hold and I always wait forever) and my Dad starts explaining to me about his first day. I wish you could have heard him, but he goes "oh it was great! They gave all sorts of presents today," and I am like well what kind of presents, thinking like a gift basket or something like a real present, and he says emphatically "they gave me a badge with my picture on it" and I am thinking ummm, okaaay like that is exciting, then he goes into "and a blackberry and a laptop and coffee and they actually like me and they pay me to be there it is great!" It was so funny to hear him so excited, especially since he was not very satisfied with his last job and motivation was lacking. Anyways, it was good to catch up with the old Daddyo.

No comments:

Post a Comment