Monday, March 3, 2008

Marchin New York City

All the cities I have visited throughout my life are so amazing and beautiful with loads of things to distract you, but NYC is so amazing. I spent the weekend with my step grandmother, Mary Ellen, glamorously strolling along the city streets. I left Saturday morning on the metro to the Union Station and took a three hour train to Penn Station. I met Mary Ellen, coming off of the NJ Transit (she is from near Philadelphia) and we began our adventures. We had a nice salad and soup lunch at Macys and then walked around the shoe department which pretty much took up a while floor of the building. From there we walked through the crowds to Times Square. All the sings, billboards and lights are pretty blinding, but I managed to get some good pictures still.


Then we waited in line, not for too long lucky enough, to get tickets to a broadway show that Saturday night. Our top three choices were Phantom of the Opera, Hairspray and Marry Poppins. We went to the eight O'Clock show and sat in the orchestra section. The sets were amazing and the costumes too! It was a long play but I was pretty captivated the whole time, definitely worth the wait and very memorable. I was so excited to sit where we were because there were two Spanish couples speaking before and after the show and I had such a great time listening to their conversation (I know eaves dropping is bad) but I could tell they were from Northern Spain and they said all the phrases I learned like "Venga" and "vale", some fond memories popped into my head traveling around Spain and Europe. I am going to have to get used to the accent in Nicaragua since it will be so much different. They really speak so clearly and pronounce every syllable in Spain- I love it.

I don't know if you can see it, but I took a photo of the opening set before the play started (under that blob was a huge chandelier).
Here is the theater from the outside when we were coming out.

Before the play, actually Mary Ellen and I walked around SoHo and went in all the fancy shops and saw all the street vendors. While walking all around the whole time (though we took the subway to and from SoHo (which I learned means south of Houston street)), we decided to eat dinner in little Italy.

Here is Mary Ellen and I trying on hats at a little boutique.
I devoured amazing pasta with tomato sauce and eggplant parmasean with a little sparkling Italian champagne called Prosecco.

Too bad I did not get a clearer one, but here is the front of the restaurant we ate at.

After a great night of sleep (and watching a little news, which I don't get to do as much as I would like because I don't really have access to a TV) I was up and ready by 11am to head to brunch. I missed out on seeing St. Patrick's Cathedral and mass, but I got to sleep in take advantage of being in a hotel. We were soon off again to Central Park to the Tavern on the Green for a little something to keep us going through the shopping day.


After mimosas and french bread, we strolled along the park making our way to the Whitney Museum. Here are some pictures from the park.


Did I mention it was a beautiful day!!


We spent a little time int he Whitney Museum then hit up Madison avenue and went into Barneys and defnitely perfected window shopping. When we hit the end of the park and 5th avenue we decided to go into the Plaza since they had just finished construction. They had a great tea room and ginormous chadelliers that were made of beautiful and shiny crystals. After wanting to stop in every store on 5th, we held ourselves back and just ended up in Tiffanys and The Trump tower just to see what they had. Here is the inside on the second floor of the building.


We eventually made it to the Rockefeller Center and saw people ice skating. A great view from above. I guess down below they have tables out there in the summer. This city really has the season change down.

Then we got our bags from the hotel and made a quick stop at the Carnegie Deli, this apparently famous jewish deli with huge sandwiches. We got them to go to eat on the train (through we were a little scared people would stare and want some because of the amazing smell). Then I hailed a cap, very stylishly I might add and headed towards the train station. Here is a shot from the back of the cab.

A three hour ride and then I was home! It was a really fabulous weekend and thank you to Mary Ellen!

No comments:

Post a Comment