Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Global Exchange and the Human Rights Awards

It has been a while I know, but I think I will pick up where I left off at work. I have been at Global Exchange in the mission now for about three months and I am feeling right at home. Not only is my supervisor, Corey, really great to work with (he is about 1 of 6 guys I swear, that works in the office of about 25+ women!) but I am really liking the work I do to support the organization. I am getting the experience I wanted and getting to know some really great people. My department, Devo as we call it, short for the Development Department, is truly the best in my department (sorry Reality Tours you are cool too!). Last month Corey, Anne, Ashley, and myself put on our 8th Annual Human Rights Awards Gala and it was a huge SUCCESS! With over 330 people in attendance, we had a silent auction, Fair Trade wine and beer, a great program with three great human rights honorees: Van Jones, Raul del Aguila, and Mu Sochua from Camnbodia. Great organizations such as the Global Fund for Women, the Rainforest Action Network, CODEPINK, and Food First were among many of our progressive and dedicated attendees. I ran the silent auction which was quite the experience and coordinated all the donations to GX. With the positive attitude and strong team work and support- it felt like a breeze-- though we did work about 75 hours+ the weeks of the event. For a recent college graduate, that was quite the experience! I really enjoyed and am happy I did it and it is over- now we are preparing for next years!

Since the HRA, my work has transitioned to other supportive needs of the department. We have a great Grants Coordinator who I have really connected with, and a funny Membership Coordinator, and a kick in the pants for our Major Gifts Officer. These three individuals, including my superviros, Corey, and the Director of the department who hired me, and I have been working most closely together and have really made my time and work great in many aspects. From the stories to the travel experiences shared to talking about everyday things in life and just laughing at ourselves- it's great. I don't mind the commute of an hour in the morning because one I get to read and adjust mentally that I will be in a great city coming from the burbs and two because I work for a really strong and amazing NGO. My current project I am working is researching foundations along with the support of the grants coordinator and a fabulous intern, Molly. This will last until my last day August 13th!! Everyone at work, especially Corey, Ashley, and Beth have been sooo supportive with such great life advice so....

That's right I said it- I am leaving after almost 5 months at GX because....

I AM GOING TO GRADUATE SCHOOL IN THE FALL!!!

I got accepted to Brandeis University in Boston ad I will be going for my Masters of Arts in Sustainable International Development with hopes of working for an international nonprofit dealing with providing education and working again social injustices for kids. I am really happy to have taken this year off from school. I learned more about myself in Europe, my family and my relationship with them at home, and developed my skills and built relationships and networks at work. I will miss the city soooo much and all my friends who stayed after we graduated but I know I will be back to the Bay Area because its where I want to end up. Having tutored and babysat this whole year, I have loved spending time with kids and being a positive role model and as much as I want my own kids, I want to be an aunty first (John get on it!) and have my career established! But babysitting for Audrey and Courtney and Georgia and Charlotte has been so much fun but now its time to get serious (and cold!) Boston HERE I COME!!

No comments:

Post a Comment