Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Duabi to Doha to Nairobi to Mombasa

Wow, so much has happened and so little internet access- what do I do!!

I spent 2 days in dubai because Turkish Airways changed my flight without me knowing and I missed my flight to Nairobi, they couldnt rebook me so I was stuck! It was a nightmare!

But I made it to Nairobi okay with a great welcome from Ann the program coordinator in Kenya for Akili Dada and we got right into work after a little sight seeing. We went to a bead cooperative where women make beautiful necklaces that are importated to the US and all over- the place is called Kazuri. Then we saw giraffes at a conservative park and go to feed them, it was so amazing and they are tall spunky little things!

Then we got right to work doing interviews at the schools to decide who to take on as an Akili Dada scholar based on financial need and potential to be a leader. This lead into our mentoring conference which was all day for our scholars, mentors, and people interested in AD who want to support us. We has some great group dinner and explored an ihub space in Nairobi and have had great opportunities to connect with others. Kenyans are so great!!

I will right more alter but now we are in Kilifi doing our strategic planning session on the beach at this beautiful rented Swahili home!!

I never want to leave!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment