Friday, July 16, 2010

Heat, deserts, Camels- O MY!

What do those three things compose? DUBAI!!


I am in Dubai having come from DC and headed towards Istanbul, Turkey! My journey over here was, well, nerve wracking. I never know if I am going to make a United flight since I fly stand by, as most of you know, but I have not been this worried about making flights in a long time. I really didn't want to miss my Turkish Airline flights to Istanbul then Odessa because then my plans to see my brother would either be much more expensive or nonexistent.

But I made it in 14C from SF to DC in the row right behind first class...I know bummer, but at least there was an empty seat next to me and white older government fellow trying to learn Mandarin. Then on my flight to Dubai (where I have never even been remotely close to in my life) I got o go business class-- only because there was space. So I started off with some celebratory champagne that I made the flight and then opened my little travel bag with my favorite lotion in it, took a deep breath and thought about my next few days. I always love listening to music on planes because they have all different great stations. I usually listen to country but it does get a little repetitive. After a little tortellini I thought I would try some port since they offered- um gross!!! too strong, I am not a fan. 4.5 hours to DC and 12 hours later we descend into the United Arab Emerites. As I look across the row of sleepy white men (mostly at least since they seem to be the only ones whos business account paid for their expensive seats) I see a very hazy skyline, but not smoggy or foggy but just unclear. You can almost feel the humidity and thickness in the air just from the sign of the brown haze.

This is the tallest building in the world!



I always heard that the Dubai airport was beautifully elegant because of all the oil money the country has. It is nice. A lot of moving walkways, some fake really tall palm trees, high high ceilings, interesting almost alienlike light fixtures, and most noticeably the women are in black coverings from hear to toe (only with their eyes peeping out) and the men are in white clothes with drapings over their heads usually with a little red crown holding it up top. Now, not everyone is dressed like this but it is hugely eye catching watching people speak Arabic and walk in the traditional dress. Of course there are many Europeans and others wearing their skinny jeans and tank tops but I do have to say I have also not really seen anyone foreign or domestic showing too much skin. Which takes me to the metro, which is super easy to get around and only about 6 dirham for a round trip ticket to the Deira center. So in the metro there are designated train cars for women and children and for men. These lovely asian women are usually the monitors and peep in each car to make sure the rules are abided by. In addition to that, the monitors speak English and make sure the cars stay pristine by telling poor little girls that they cannot eat chocolate on the metro (that only happened once).

Taking the metro at night, there is really not much to see. There are a lot of comercialized centers and tall tall buildings all next to each other but there was nothing super attractive to me. Though I read about souks, old traditional markets that sell goods which are supposed to be interesting to see. I spoke with one of the American flight attendants and she gave me pretty grim picture of Dubai based on her experience, but to me, it was interesting. Who knows if I will come back. Well, I would love to do a camel ride! Something unappealing to me is how much Western Culture is influencing this area. All the advertisements and retails stores from Cold Stone to Claire's to H and M are here which just seem out of place given the history and conservative culture....also it is interesting how all the ads, signs, store names and whatnot are in English and right beside it in Arabic.

This is the tallest and supposedly most luxurious hotel in the shape of a sail on a fake island!


Well, there is a little taste of Dubai for you. Next, I am off to Istanbul to spend the day and then see my brother in Odessa!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment