Friday, July 29, 2011

Bienvenidos a Mexico City

Wow- what a trip flying from Boston 6 hours to SF then connecting after a 4 hour layover to Mexico City. SF had the best looking flights so I had a back up plan to stay in the city if I wasn't going to make the flight, but I ended up getting first class, it was awesome except for the fact that it was a 4.5 hour red eye. But I got in this am at 6 and hopped in a cab after, surprisingly, not being questioned at customs and getting both of my bags after being told neither were confirmed to arrive.

I got to the apartment where my supervisor, Danielle, is and had a warm welcome. We chatted and talked about work and Mexico. After showing and sleeping, we ventured out to the Zocalo which is the main plaza and saw some pretty amazing buildings.

Today, July 28th is actually the dia de San Judas which is the saint for hopeless causes, so we went to a church where a lot of people holding the virgin where just standing in a massive crowd holding small statues of the saint. Another interesting sight was a female police officer in her blue suit wearing those police brimmed hats and silver sparkle eye shadow. Wow! What a surprise...Danielle, my field adviser here and I were cracking up. Definitely a little surprise.

Danielle is definitely the typical "gringa" as she calls herself in the organization, and she is going to be so great to work with. She is hard working, outgoing and passionate about educating street kids so they can have a better life. She emailed me an organization that wants to partner with CODENI called sOccket that uses soccer balls in developing areas that when they are kicked around they generate energy. I do question how practical and useful it would be for some communities, but it is an interesting idea. Check it out: http://www.soccket.com/

I start the workshop on Saturday and am here for a week then off to GDL to find housing! Super exciting...

No comments:

Post a Comment