Sunday, August 7, 2011

Distrito Federal a Guadalajara

What a great week so far. I arrived a little more than a week ago and I have learned so much. I was in a workshop for the last 7 days put on by the Network for Rights of the Child here in the capital, Mexico City. We were learning participatory methods for educating children in their right to education, while looking at their relationship with the media and violence/comercials specifically.

I was with about 12 other men and women from different states in Mexico who work with children and education in one form or another, specifically with street kids and vulnerable populations. I met some really great people and learned a lot about different states: Queretaro, Chiuhuahua (Ciudad Juarez), Tobasco and others.

Mexico city is pretty great. Though it is very polluted (you can see the dirty air). Diana and Nidi and Maria Luisa and I went to the Casa Azul, Frida Khalo's house which is in the neighborhood Coyoacan (named after Coyotes). Its a great neighborhood with such amazing food, the most famous donuts, coffee from Jarocho, mezcales, and street food. Her house was amazing- brilliantly blue with amazing books about philosophy and life, some in english, her paintings and a beautiful garden.

It was great to end the week of workshop with cake with the kids and a reflection session. I got so many sincere welcomes to the country and to this culture- from Javier, a colleague in the workshop, saying I hope you enjoy this country and the culture because you fit here and will be great; from Susana my new friend from GDL, saying you are going to have the best time and that she will show me around the city and we will explore together; from Magaly, a colleague/good friend now, saying this country welcomes you to its land because you are a part of it and you will fall in love with it here. SO NICE! My field advisor here, Danielle, has been great too.

I got in last night, Friday night, to GDL, a smaller modern airport to rain and warm winds with my two huge blue bags. I was worried about missing my flight and having to stay in DF, which would not have been ideal (I was ready to leave the craziness of a huge city) since my taxi was late and it was raining and there was of course tons of traffic. But I got there in good time and jumped on my Viva aerobus, where you sit anywhere you want and talked to this really nice guy who worked with the government in the department of public health. So Jose (from the plane) and Susana (from the hostel in DF) are some new friends in GDL and I am excited to explore more and learn so much!

I have limited connection to internet here, I am using a telcel broadband USB to connect. Danielle pays to get a couple of hours a day so hopefully in a couple weeks when I move from her place to a new apartment I will have something stable. All is great and I am excited to be here!! I feel like a real person again after traveling around this summer and living out of a suitcase all summer then being in DF in a hostel- I now have a cell phone, a real bed for a little while, and warm water!!

Hasta pronto...

No comments:

Post a Comment