Saturday, January 8, 2011

Dia de Los Reyes- Otavalo

Thursday was another great day. It started with an interview with a Professor through Skype at Brandeis who wants me to be a Teacher's Assistant. It's for an undergraduate Intro to Social Policy class. Then we got a late start, Lesly and Lucia and I usually have breakfast together- a cheese grilled sandwich or cereal, and then Les was going to take me to the bus stop so I could head north two hours to a town called Otavalo.

So we went to the station and the next bus didn't leave for 2 hours, which is the amount of time it takes to arrive there, so Lesly said she would drive me. She is amazing, she just dropped what she was doing for the day and we drove 2 hours there and 2 hours back. We saw the beautiful lake San Pablo, Cotapachi the town and a natural crater lake reserve in the high mountains up above Otavalo. In Otavalo we went to the main Feria de Aretesania- the artesans market where I bought a really nice tealish alpaca blanket and a few little paintings and jewlery.

Then we drove home and had such a good time in the car just telling stories about family and boys. I am a good copilota I do have to say, unlike Les' older sister Melba who falls asleep in the car while Les drives. Then we got home in the rain driving up the mountain up to their house to see all their family and kids at the house coming back from the mass to celebrate the Day of the Kings. I got to say goodbye to Fran and Lucy and Lucy's brother Galito. Then I met Mary Ellen at the Hilton very close and we caught up and we so excited to get our trip going!

Off to the islands!

No comments:

Post a Comment