Sunday, September 11, 2011

In Ten years...

Realizing over the last two years, mostly at Brandeis in my studies, that I definitely want to work with education and youth- for me this means looking at providing access to formal education and working with holistic non formal education to ensure success in their lives so they can bring themselves out of poverty. So I have prematurely been looking at jobs and I came up with my ten year plan (they say that is a good thing to have when you are in grads school). Professionally, I would like to be a director or in a job like this: http://www.idealist.org/view/job/sDKh6ptjndw4

Back to daily life. Last week was pesada as they say here, heavy. I spent the week with recreation doing an evaluation and getting to know this area of the organization. I was in meetings a lot of the week and from 10-6 on Thursday then had Friday off because the coordinator works on saturdays from 9-2. He brings the kids (chavos) to a park where there is a league of men who play soccer so the teens get to play on a formalized team and they love it. I played a little bit but was definitely a little scared about the intensity- these people take soccer super seriously! But it was a good week and I am really feeling integrated into the organization and am really getting to know it well after 6 weeks here.

Here are some fun face shots of the kids I work with:







No comments:

Post a Comment