Monday, July 14, 2008

Three Buses, Two Taxis, a Boat and a Motito Later...

After about six hours of public transportation, Emily and I finally arrived to La Isla de Ometepe on Wednesday after lunch. We had so many adventures...and the pictures will tell all when I put them up! We stayed in Charco Verde the first night, A place near Merida the second night (at Hostal Monkie Island) then near Balgue the third night. Angie and Wade met up our second night, which was great. None of us saw what we expected...the island is very spread out and outdoorsy. There are no real towns by any means but beautiful views nonetheless. I think my favorite part was climbing up this viewpoint called Mirador Del Diablo, either that or the old Nicaragua man who was talking to me on the boat ride over (they call the boats Lanchas) and he would repeat everything he said to me every ten minutes...he had a little short term memory problem, but I learned a lot about the Island!

I got home Saturday night and actually had a huge migrane and felt really really bad but I am doing much better now and Julie Reed, the Director of Service Learning at USF (the woman who basically create dthis program for us and who sent us here)is visiting us all here. So she is staying with me at my host family´s house. It is great to be able to share this with her and then take back our experiences to SF to talk about them.

Well, I am going to Masaya today, since we are still on vacation from class. Wade lives in Masaya and it is known for being an Artesan town. They sell amazing hammocks too so we will see what I come back with!!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah!!! I am marking this on my favorites and I will check it often :) I love blogging now (I was a little wary of it at first). Thanks for the address and I cannot wait to read more about what you are doing while in Nicaragua. What an opportunity!

    ReplyDelete