Sunday, January 13, 2008

Washington Monuments and all my favorite men...just the beginning

Friday morning we had the internship Bazaar put on my our program at the gym on the main campus at AU. Very exciting- dressing up in panty hose, meeting terrifying potential employers, smiling an uncommon amount, talking about yourself to impress other yet be somewhat modest, all with new people and for two hours. So it was great if you wouldn't tell. No, it was not that bad, they gave us coffee and bagels and we walked around the booths (before we ate, no worries, we were not eating and trying to get internships at the same time!). I dropped off four resumes at some non profit organizations I thought seemed interesting. Since then I have done hours of work on my resume and feel pretty good about it. So I am just trying to search for more internships I like and that aren't in the boonies far from Campus since I have to go every Monday and Tuesday. My friend Sarah, who is in the Foreign Policy seminar with me, so we stuck together. It was pretty exhausting and weird having eager people behind tables watching us walk by if we were not interested and knowing we are all competing against each other for internships.
During the day,I just did errands, got my AU ID and napped and then at night around 8 I went on a school led excursion to the monuments of DC. About 50 or so of us students took the metro to Fairagutt North and walked to the white House. Everyone was saying how small it was and we were in the back so it was even littler than we had imagined. We walked to the front and it was very pretty at nighttime, but still not really any bigger. Then we walked to the Washington Monument and saw the fifty flags around it. My friends and I took funny pictures around it then headed to the World War II Memorial with all the states names on tall concrete slabs around the center fountain. It was huge and very beautiful. I am glad I got to see this all during the night because then I can go back and compare during the day. Then we walked down along the water to my good friend Abe. He is huge! My friend Laura, from Germany, and I raced up the stairs and out of breath halfway through, we finally made it to the top to be yelled at by a security guard. I guess it is a sanctuary and you are not allowed to run or really even talk. But it was very white with great columns everywhere and did I mention there are a lot of stairs. We just sat on the steps and stared at the view of the Washington Monument and the water.
From there, we walked through the Vietnam Memorial Garden, where there are larger than life iron statues of the men in uniform as if there where there in Vietnam. Then there was this amazing lighted wall slab with faces imprinted onto it of the soldiers. They where all so young and handsome, with helmets on. There bodies were not shown. We then walked around a lake with bare trees hanging over it and a great reflection in the water of the moon and far off monuments headed towards the Roosevelt and Jefferson monuments. At this point, one of my friends had really really sore feet, so we all switched up shoes to help her out. We met a san francisco couple who gave us directions.

Pictures!!
Here is the view form my window at night!





Me and some friends in the back of the White House...it is a lot smaller than I thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment