Monday, September 24, 2007

Flamenco, Graffiti and Futbol


What a geat weekend! I was in Madrid from Friday to Sunday and had the best weekend in a long long time! To start out, Friday was the day after my Birthday and we has to meet a metro stop away at the dorms to leave for the 5.5 hour bus ride to Madrid at 8 in the morning! So of course I was running late and my host mom, Conchi is like no you have to eat breakfast here, no eating on the street or you will never get married. I eat a couple peices of bread and she shoves three peices at me and a huge bad a cookie/crakcer things. So I am rolling my small backpack suitcase down the cobblestone street with peaches and cookies in my hands hurrying to the metro, about 3 blocks away. The blocks in spain are a little bigger than at home I might add.
Well I get there just in time and there are only seats in the back of the bus with the guys, which is fine until 5 hours later when they smell like feet and old socks and I have only slept about an hour! Quick a journey with 45 students on the bus. Carlos the bus driver is crazy and awesome!
So we arrived at a nice hotel in a good location close to a lot of things, however nothing is really close to anything in madrid. We went straight to the Royal Palace after lunch at the hotel. I remembered going there when I took the eighth grade trip to Madrid, which was cool. It was beautiful with portraits and paintings from the 16th century of kings and royalty. Every room has a different theme with different colors and beautiful decorations. We took a tour and the woman guide just spit out amazing information; it is crazy to think she does that everyday and remembers it all. There was this great courtyard in in one of main buildings like a secret garden. I took a picture even though i wasn't supposed too, how scandalous! They do have guards all over the palace though starting people down who are even just thinking of taking their cameras out of their backpacks.
There were so many turists in Madrid and at the palace, i wish you all could have seen them, so crazy really with the socks and sandals talking in all different languages.
There was this one room, out of some that they still use for special "royal" occasions, that had a huge long dinner table that seat like 250 people, but it is like one of those tables where the king sits at one end and the king at the other. I could picture myself sitting there! The main plaza in el palacio was so great with old architecture, you can almost picture yourself there in 1778! I was just sitting there on an old statue int he middle with the sun shinning (the whole weekend we had great weather except on saturday night when it was a little cooler and drizzles some but it was perfect) and it felt soooo good to sit since we had already been out and about for 4 hours.
After the Palacio we walked to the Plaza Mayor, the main square in Madrid and had some great sangria! We kept walking and got a little lost but now i know the metro system which is great! Nikki, Matt and I broke off from the group since it is extremely hard to go anywhere with more than like 5 people.
One of the people who works in the CIDE (the University of Deusto's international program) office is abotu 22, his name is Guillermo and he took Matt, Nikki and this woman named Pricess out to a discoteca which was so amazing. We were right by the Atocha train station in Madrid (the one that was also bombed in September i think from terroists attacks). Princess is hilarious, she is think big big black woman from Michigan who says they funniest things in the greatest accent. At one point when we were there. We were getting drinks and she is so impatient to dance and says I have been waiting three weeks (the whole time we have been in spain) to dance, lets go! Funny, so we danced until three in the morning! Guillermo is this small little spaniard who couldn't hurt an ant if he tried, very cute. So that was our Friday night. Basically all weekend i was with Nikki and Matt, who is gay if I haven't mentioned that. They both are so charismatic and kind and extremely funny. I really haven't laughed this much in one weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment