Wednesday, September 5, 2007


Oh my gosh, i am soo happy right now i have wireless internet in my room from someone else in the apartment complex i am in!!!! so going through Munich with my two huge rolly suitcases was fun and then on the subway..which is super clean by the way..then i go to check in for my flight prepared to pay like a hundred euros in overweight fees but no i told the agent i was living there and she was like okay, so no fees and i checked my two bags!






so i was on a flight with about 30 young men who were in traditional German dress and they were the yodelers, but that's not what they are called, and they were crazy on the plane!
playing card games across the row taking up the whole back of the plane wearing the short leather shorts and suspenders and vests and green hats with fur coming out of them and special shoes and leggings!! so funny! that was an entertaining flight...but i was anxious the whole time and had like 3 cups of coffee, tomato juice and water! it was also funny because all the announcements on the flight were in German, English and Spanish!

The accents here are so different from what I have heard and learned but i will get used to it! You don't know how good it feels to be connected to the internet especially when I have no phone and no one i know here.

but that leads me to the other people in the program. i know 2 of them from my school and i saw one today but her family whisked her off at the airport. so there were about 8 of us, most living in the dorms and some in families. My host woman (i am not calling her my mom if you pay me) is kinda crazy but cool. she lives in an apartment complex that is nice and a five minute walk from school so that is sweet. she has a dog named betti that bites at my feet when i walk, it is a medium sized (a little bigger than bailey) black and white fluffy dog that is a little smelly... her apartment is small but it is just her here. I have a nice room; it is much smaller than a dorm room but has a nice closet space! Her name is Conchi and she asked me mine and i said Devon and after several bad attempts at saying it...sounding like bebon i told her she could call me irene which is much easier!


So Bilbao is in the Basque region and is kinda the capitol of the area. the native language Euskara has been around forever and that is what people generally speak in addition to Spanish. We are right near an estuary and rivers and the ocean is not far away. Bilbao until the 80's was a very industrial city and not it is moving towards some technology and tourism, with the Guggenheim museum.





The weather is like San Francisco but not really overcast. I like it, not too hot and i can wear all my cute sweaters i brought although of course i wish i could have brought more!

****************************
DISCLAIMER: (This is still Dev's friend Mary posting these updates for her... so you can blame me for the cheesy pictures and clips added to her stories from Spain!! keep 'um coming Dev!)

1 comment:

  1. Now this is a classy blog! I love it. Great writing Devolini.......keep 'em coming. love janet

    ReplyDelete